How to Avoid Emergency UK Tax - NT Tax Code

Est. Reading Time - 5 min

How to Avoid Emergency UK Tax – NT Tax Code

If you’re a British expatriate, you will want to avoid being unnecessarily taxed at source in the UK (including emergency tax). Here’s how.

About the NT Tax Code

An NT Tax Code is an important piece of the jigsaw if you have a pension in the UK and plan on drawing down an income whilst a resident elsewhere. At Plan First Wealth, we are concerned with British expats living in America, but this applies to anyone drawing from a UK pension living anywhere outside the UK.

The usual caveat applies – we are not tax advisers and do not give tax advice. We share relevant information to keep you informed, but we recommend getting advice from a cross-border tax adviser based on your specific circumstances.

What is an NT tax code? It’s a tax code for which you can apply that will designate you as a non-taxpayer in the UK. In other words, having an NT tax code will allow your pension and SIPP providers to pay out your distributions with no UK tax withholding. NT = no tax or non-taxpayer.

If you don’t have an NT tax code, you are likely to get emergency taxed at source, at least on the first taxable payment – i.e. the pension trustee/company paying your income is going to have to deduct “emergency” tax before they remit funds to you. And emergency tax will be high.

This is likely because your Pension or SIPP provider does not have a tax code for you. Unlike the US, where taxpayers essentially elect how much to have withheld, HMRC assigns tax codes that determine your withholding. So, if you haven’t been a British taxpayer for a while then you are unlikely to have a tax code. And thus, when your first taxable distribution is taken, HMRC will force your pension or SIPP trustee to apply a temporary Emergency Tax code.

Following this, they will usually supply a new tax code that withholds at a lower rate.

Trustees will pay out a pension commencement lump sum (PCLS – the 25% “tax free” payment) from a SIPP or pension without any tax withheld. This is because this payment is considered tax free by HMRC. This does not mean it is tax free in the US and you should work with a cross-border tax adviser to correctly report and, if deemed necessary, pay US tax on the PCLS.

It’s not the end of the world if you have UK tax withheld, but it’s a hassle you don’t need or want.

The US and the UK have a robust tax treaty in place, resulting in the UK pension distributions you receive as a US resident should only be taxable in the US. Therefore, you should be able to claim back any tax withheld by HMRC. You likely won’t be able to claim a foreign tax credit on your US taxes, because the US considers these UK taxes a voluntary foreign tax that should be refunded under the terms of the treaty – this is a topic to raise with your tax adviser. In order to claim them back, you may need to follow the steps below to get a US residency certificate.

How to Avoid Automatically Withheld UK Tax

In order to use avoid UK tax withholding, you need to apply for and receive an NT Tax Code.

For British expats living in America, you need to complete Form US-Individual 2002 and submit it along with Form 8802 (plus the “applicable user fee”) to request a US residency certification (IRS Form 6166) to the IRS (not HMRC) at: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 71052, Philadelphia, PA 19176-6052

For any expats not living in the US, here is the Form DT-Individual you need, which you need to send to the tax authority in your country of residence. Look to Note 4 on page 7.

At the end of this process, you will be provided with a tax code that will direct your pension provider to pay your pension distributions gross. Bear in mind that as a UK person/resident/citizen you likely need to declare all your worldwide income to the IRS and US income tax will be due.

This process of applying for an NT tax code takes many months. If you want your first taxable payment to be free from UK withholding tax, then we suggest starting this process at least a year in advance of the payment.

As always, get in touch if you have any questions or queries. We work with British expats living across America and we help them manage their finances, get clarity and confidence over their future and work towards living their best lives.

Plan First Wealth is a registered investment adviser. Information presented is for educational purposes only and does not intend to make an offer or solicitation for the sale or purchase of any specific securities, investments, or investment strategies. Investments involve risk and, unless otherwise stated, are not guaranteed. Be sure to first consult with a qualified financial adviser and/or tax professional before implementing any strategy discussed herein. Past performance is not indicative of future performance.

Retire Happier.

Plan First Wealth Is A US/UK Wealth Management Firm Serving Successful British Expats in America With at Least $1M net worth Make the Most of their Opportunity.

Plan First's WealthHub
Plan First Wealth

Join Our Community

Plan First’s WealthHub is a community of Brits living in America looking to protect and grow our life’s work, retire with confidence, and leave a legacy.

Our members get:

  • 2 updates per month with actionable content delivered to your inbox
  • Access to a private WealthHub Facebook group
  • Access to exclusive monthly online educational events



Any testimonials were provided by current clients. The clients were not compensated, nor are there material conflicts of interest that would affect the given testimonies. The testimonies may not be representative of the experience of other current clients and does not provide a guarantee of future performance, success or similar services.

Plan First Wealth is a registered investment adviser located in Greenwich, CT. Plan First Wealth may only transact business in those states in which it is registered, or qualifies for an exemption or exclusion from registration requirements. Plan First Wealth’s web site is limited to the dissemination of general information pertaining to its advisory services, together with access to additional investment-related information, publications, and links. Accordingly, the publication of Plan First Wealth’s web site on the Internet should not be construed by any consumer and/or prospective client as Plan First Wealth’s solicitation to effect, or attempt to effect transactions in securities, or the rendering of personalized investment advice for compensation, over the Internet. Any subsequent, direct communication by Plan First Wealth with a prospective client shall be conducted by a representative that is either registered or qualifies for an exemption or exclusion from registration in the state where the prospective client resides. For information pertaining to the registration status of Plan First Wealth, please contact the state securities regulators for those states in which Plan First Wealth maintains a registration filing. A copy of Plan First Wealth’ current written disclosure statement discussing Plan First Wealth’ business operations, services, and fees is available at the SEC’s investment adviser public information website – www.adviserinfo.sec.gov or from Plan First Wealth upon written request. Plan First Wealth does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to Plan First Wealth’s web site or incorporated herein, and takes no responsibility therefor. All such information is provided solely for convenience purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly.

This website and information are provided for guidance and information purposes only. Investments involve risk and unless otherwise stated, are not guaranteed. Be sure to first consult with a qualified financial adviser and/or tax professional before implementing any strategy. This website and information are not intended to provide investment, tax, or legal advice. There are no warranties implied.